Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I know I needed a shower but still....

Yes, after 51 hours on the train, a shower was certainly needed received gladly. However, the rain that has been falling heavily all day is not so welcome. Ach well, as I said to some of the locals, it's just like Britain!

Quick update on the trip:
Now in Ulan Ude and tomorrow I'm heading to Irkutsk, from where I hope to visit Lake Baikal amongst other things. I'm taking the train during the day, in order to see the veiws of Baikal as we pass.
So far on my trip I have:
Been in Russia for 17 days.
Spent over 100 hours on trains.
Visited 10 Cathederals/ Churches/ Monasteries.
Had sunburn once.
Been rained on only 3 times.
Eaten more blini (pancakes), ice-cream and pirozhki (pies) than I can count (finally answering the time-honoured question of "Who ate all the pies?").
Drunk less beer/ vodka than expected.
And, seen over 20 Lenins (in monument/ picture/ mural form, including the big, giant head here in Ulan Ude).

Anyway, Khabarovsk (where unfortunately I didn't find such a cheap place to stay :-(, everywhere I go the cheapest places are full up so I end up spending more than desirable) was a nice place. I didn't do much except wander round the streets (which were very leafy and pleasant) and hang out in Ploschad Leninna drinking beer. It was nice and relaxing though.

The trip here from Khabarovsk was also very pleasant, except for the fact that it was horribly warm in the carriage and the windows didn't open. Yes, Ezio, I am travelling platzkartni but I haven't encountered any of the Russian army yet (more's the pity). Instead, in the immediate vacinity were a lovely family (Yulia (who looked about 14 but was actually 26) and her daughter Ulia, her sister Sveta and their mother) and another mother and daughter (Sveta (again) and Ira). The second Sveta is actually an English teacher so, of course, we chatted a lot. I had some good (if rather more difficult) chats with the aforementioned family as well. Also in the carriage was a group of kids who were going to Baikal on a trip and once they discovered there was an English person on board they all wanted to come and chat. The most forward of them was Maxim, who's 12 and likes ice hockey (this much I learnt in our little chat). On the whole it was a very enjoyable trip.

Ulan Ude is also very pleasant (despite the rain). I've visited a couple of museums here and the catherderal. The babushka working at the geological museum (free, woo hoo!) was very friendly and said that I spoke very good Russian without an accent (yay me!). The historical museum (not free, unfortunately) was also very good. Lots of artifacts from Buryat (the local native people) shamanism, Buddhism and the Russian Orthodox church intermingled with some art by a contemporary Buryat artist. People had left money next to a lot of the exhibits, presumably for kind of offering, which was interesting.

Yes, I know that I've already been going on for ages but I have something to add, which I was thinking about on the train:
I just want to tell you all how stunning the Russian women are. I hadn't forgotten this, of course but everywhere I go, I'm blown away! Ezio, I'm sure that you noticed this, all you other boys are certianly missing out! I mean, provided that you like the leggy, blonde model type, that is ;-). Admittedly, they do have a tendency to dress like, errr.... 'ladies of negotiable virtue', if you see what I mean. But, hey, if you've got it, flaunt it, I guess. And I'm sure none of the boys are complaining. High-heels, endless legs, a tiny skirt and equally tiny (and often see-through) top. Of course, hair, make-up and nails are always immaculate. And, noow that I'm in the far east there's loads of exotic, oriental types as well, just as beautiful and immaculately dressed as the western Russians. It is nice to be surrounded by such beauty but it can be rather disheartening to one who is *ahem* less than slender and not exactly model-beautiful and also in manky travelling clothes with no make-up on! *sigh* Ach well, such is life. *Reaches for another Baltika and some more (delicious and inexpensive) ice-cream...*

I shall save my comments on Russian men for another time, as I think I have gone on for more than long enough! I'm off to have that beer...

Poka!
Lottie x

5 comments:

conor said...

Bravo on the updates Lottie. Sounds like a fascinating trip. I'm jealous - and not (just) because of the visual delights you describe.

What you've been missing: the spectacle of a bunch of philosophers dressed as flaming homosexuals in celebration of Edo's and Tom's birthday. I hope someone will be able to upload some photos soon, particularly of the birthday boys' 'creaming' incident.

There have also been a number of competitive triumphs recently. Italy's world cup win brought joy to our Turkish contingent, but was soon overshadowed by The De-Bearded Kings of France, who secured an historic quiz-and-jackpot double last night. Wild celebrations ensued in the streets of Edinburgh.

Dave is leaving for Prague and Slovakia tonight. He's going by bus so he won't arrive til Thursday night...

nullo said...

...and they don't wear no bras, the russian ladies...

Anonymous said...

Pictures please of said stunning Russian women.

If you'd had said "my comments on Vladimir's" instead of "my comments on Russian men" you would have saved one space.

Lottie said...

Bloody philosophers! You're never going to leave this whole saving space thing, are you? Well, maybe I want to take up lots of space :-P.

Lottie said...

Oh yes, and thanks for the positive comments on the blogging Conor and Dave, I'm quite enjoying it. It's always nice to boast about stuff, lol!

And Dave, I would not want to steal any of Mr Ferrier's thunder but I think any claims to have eaten *all* of the pies is just Nazi propaganda. He definately left some in Far Eastern Russia, which I have been very much enjoying. Speaking of which, I think it's lunch time...