Monday, August 28, 2006

Hey all,

Well, I've just completed my first day of administration fun at my new university. I have not had the time to eat or sleep too much today, so I feel a little bit like I'm floating as I write this...

I arrived in New York last night in a cloudy haze (both me and new york). As I rode into Manhattan in my cab, I was reminded of how gothic new york can appear- especially under the metallic sheen of a rainy evening. I arrived at Clare's, tipped my cabbie (after living in britain I've forgotten what a normal tip is over here... I gave him $5.50 on a $37.50 cab ride, and i'm worried it wasn't enough... ach well!) Clare was making pizzas - sundried tomatoes, feta, spinach, pine nuts, tomatoes, peppers... yum!

I awoke at around 6, and was too anxious to go back to sleep. I was also too nervous to eat today, as I anticipated the alleged meeting (that Amber thankfully warned me about) whereby the students (literally) climbed over each other to put their names on a sheet of paper (!) in the order they will meet with the student advisor to sign up for their courses. The fateful moment actually came about 30 mins ago, and let me tell you - philosophy students are vicious! However Amber and I got two of the earliest appts, and so hopefully I'll get into the classes I want!

I miss you all so much - I had forgotten how cheery americans can be about the banal, and I am finding it somewhat alienating as I am fighting through the fog of a huge city and the early days of attending a new university. I long for the sardonic and sarcastic tones of Edinburgh!

I also just realized that as I write this, the pub quiz must just be starting... good luck to you all!

xo
Lisa

5 comments:

Tom R said...

Cheers Lisa, keep it coming. That sounds a pretty mental administrative system - is it some kind of sociological experiment?

We came third and second in the quiz; the former being in many ways preferable to the latter.

Lottie said...

Mmmm, minstrels....

lisa said...

I think it was a type of sociology experiment, or maybe just sadism, because the student advisor genuinely seemed to find it amusing. Finally registered today, and got the classes I want:

Kierkegaard
Hume's Treatise
Phenomenology of Light and Architecture

Not a bad mix, I think...

Lottie said...

Ah, even though you're on the other side of the atlantic, you're still studying Edinburgh's finest - marvellous!

Phenomenology of light and architecture sounds baffling to me, what's that gonna consist of?You definately seem to have a good variety of classes anyway.

How's Noo Yawk treating you? Is it full of yellow cabs and people dressed like they're in Sex and the City?

lisa said...

New York is definitely full of yellow cabs, and although there are a wide mix of people, yes, they do indeed dress well here in new york. Not everyone is sarah jessica parker, but then, we wouldn't want them to be...