Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hi,

Okay, so there was much confusion about the Phenomenology of Light and Architecture course, so I'm including the prof's course description:

This course is an introduction to classical phenomenological philosophy and to the fundamentals of phenomenological practice, with particular emphasis on the theory of perception, the problems of time and space, and the theory of meaning. The set of specific problems and questions of interpretation for this introduction will be the manifold role that light plays in the built world. Could the classical phenomenological themes of presence and absence, expression and meaning, phenomenality and being be employed to frame a research program on the architecture and design of light? And, in turn, could a sophisticated understanding of what is implicit in our capacity to design the experiential feel of built space reopen the very question of the being and essence of phenomenality, and with that its fundamental relation to human existence and action?

So, whatever that means. I don't know yet, but I will keep you posted. Andy Clark would probably think it's cool!

I think that in some ways moving to a new place for me is kind of like giving birth - you remember that it involves pain, but you forget exactly what kind of pain and how intense it can be. Things weren't helped when, talking to my mum yesterday, she told me that one of her close friends from high school had died of an overdose. It wasn't necessarily intentional but they don't know yet. And I don't know if it is all the stress of moving to a different city or what but I have not burst out in hysterical crying like that for as long as i can remember. I think the worst of it right now is that I don't have a permanent home - I will be subletting from Clare's friend whilst he is in Greece, which is good (I get a whole apt to myself) and then back with Clare for a while and then possibly to Conor's sister's place for a few days. So it's not like I don't have a place to stay, and everyone is being really lovely. But September feels like it is going to stretch on forever!

Clare just got internet, which is super and means I will be on msn more in the next month or so. However, I also realized yesterday that my computer has no anti-virus protection (duh) and so I need to get that before I use internet on my laptop or else risk fucking up my computer. The uni computers don't have msn which is annoying but understandable, and the internet cafe I went into today charges almost 7 bucks for 30 mins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I miss you all!

Lisa

3 comments:

lisa said...

ps i realize that the description isn't too enlightening, just that's all I know about it...

Lottie said...

I think I'm more baffled than I was previously :-s.

Tom R said...

Keep your pecker up, Lisa.

[PhraseFinder says: Meaning: Remain Cheerful. Origin: This is the English pecker, ie. mouth, as opposed to the American, ie. penis.]