Friday, September 08, 2006

Hey guys!

Ok so now I've officially had my first week of classes and here is how they are:

Kierkegaard is beign taught by the oldest professor I've ever seen in my life - but she's very cool and seems to know a lot. Kierkegaard, as it turns out, is very cool as well - he's big on the irony and his writing is very funny at times. I went to the NYU library to get some of his books for my class and WOW is it big and beautiful! Well, the lobby is beautiful anyway, with black and white marble floors and the whole building is designed such that the entire middle square of the building is hollow, so othat you can look down and see the lobby from any floor.

The phenomenology class looks like it's pretty much an introduction to phenomenology (which is pretty much what i need...the one course i took on it in undergrad was taught so badly I STILL don't really know what it's about) with a view to looking at how it relates to architecture and light later on in the course. This, however, is definitely the course I'm least excited about.

My Hume seminar is going to be amazing! The woman who teaches it, like most Hume scholars I find, LOVES Hume, and she is so enthusiastic it's so refreshing! She also seriously knows what she's talking about, and so I'm looking forward to actually having a good understanding of Hume when I'm done...

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm off to Conor's sister's place tonight for dinner, which will be good. I do seem to have something of a social life at the moment, which is definitely warding off a lot of the loneliness...

Lisa

1 comment:

Lottie said...

She spends two years in Edinburgh and has to go all the way to New York to get a good understanding of Hume? There's something not right about that.