Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Just to keep you up to date...

I'm sure that Conor is keeping Lisa up to date with events over in Edinburgh but I thought I'd post a wee note as well, for both her and Elanor's benefit.

Not that there's that much to say, really. Term has started at both Edinburgh and Stirling, distrupting the quiet and also the nice routine that I'd got into over the summer (which mostly consisted of "working" in the library interspersed with lunch and plenty of cups of tea with Tom). But, such is the way of universities - I guess the students are a necessary part of things. Stirling have for some reason allowed me to take on some teaching (but then they are also willing to let the Beserk Turk loose on the poor first years, so that's not saying much) and I had my first classes yesterday. They seemed to go well and the students seemed to be pretty enthusiastic and not completely thick, which is a good start. I'm sure that come the depths of November, though, the enthusiasm will have waned somewhat.

Socially, life continues to be as hectic as it ever has been. What with pub-quizzes, various philosophy events (including the free wine that is obligatory at such events), poker nights and the filmhouse showing lots of Hitchcock films there seem to be very few free evenings. It's the way I prefer it though. I'm hoping that I can manage to fit in the time to take up belly dancing again, but it's quite possible that my natural laziness will get in the way as it so often does. So last week I had the pleasure of meeting both sets (Stirling and Edinburgh) of new post-grads most of whom seem pretty pleasant and hopefully quite sociable. On Saturday we all went out to celebrate Conor's birthday - ending up in the Royal Oak. Then it was back to Buccleuch St to make a dent into some of Conor's birthday presents (mmm, tasty whiskey). Sunday night was spent playing poker and eating nice pizzas at Tom's parent's place (in thier absence). Suspiciously (since we were using his cards) Tom won but it was good fun nonetheless.

Anyway, that's enough for now I think, back to the philosophy...

Ciao!
Lottie x

2 comments:

lisa said...

All the new postgrads seem nice, eh? You're not fooling me! I want to hear about the progress of the new american guy...

Also, managed to meet some of my classmates yesterday - bunch of fucking knackers. One was pontificating on 'the ancients' as a whole, as if it made sense to talk about them like that, and also as if she is a fuckin expert, another guy is basically my version of your annoying american, and everyone else ignored me. NOT impressed so far. It was only four of the forty, so I'm holding out for the cool people... I think the guy that I'm staying with this coming week is cool though, so at least that's something! It really made me miss you all! :( Can't wait to see you guys in Jan!

xo
Lisa

Tom R said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.