Saturday, September 23, 2006

Movin' on up...

Hey guys,

Nice pics from the party - sorry I missed it. I like that there was the usual token terrifying pic of ezio, and I loved the gay pirate - I think that belongs on his Edinburgh website!

Sooo, to update you guys on my life: my dad was in town on Thursday evening and Fri morning - we went for dinner on Thursday night to Cafe Un Deux Trois, which is just off Times Square. I had a prosciutto (sp?) and avocado salad (who knew but they are a FAB combo) and a filet with frites.... droooool.... On Fri we walked around town for over four hours looking at different futons. As with everything in this city, they are quite expensive, so my parents might check out toronto prices as my mum is driving a bunch of stuff down mid-october anyway. So I think I'm gonna buy a blow up bed, the kind that I've been sleeping on for the past week, because it will come in useful for visitors (hint, hint).

As of tomorrow, I'm moving to Brooklyn... but it's still a week before I get my flat! I'll be staying with a guy named Kevin and his wife, who I know from U of T. At least now I'll feel like I'm not burdening Clare and Simon, and it will give me an opportunity to familiarize myself with my neighbourhood. I get a sneak peek on Monday morning, which is exciting. I'll definitely update you on what it's actually like, and I'll take photos when we finally move in.

In the meantime, I'm heading over to Michele's for dinner again on Monday, and my aunt comes into town on Wednesday, so I'll definitely have enough to keep me distracted until next weekend. And the weekend after that it's Thanksgiving!

Oh, hey, speaking of which, I learned an interesting fact about why the American and Canadian Thanksgivings are on different days: they used to be on the same day, which is now known as Canadian Thanksgiving. In the 30s, during the depression, FDR changed the American Thanksgiving to where it is now, the fourth Thursday in November, to promote Christmas shopping. To this day, Thanksgiving weekend is the biggest shopping weekend in America. It also makes sense that the original Thanksgiving was in October, since that's when the harvest occurs!

Anyway, it's cloudy and rainy here today... arg how depressing. Might head down to the library later, need to do some extra reading about Kierkegaard... he's like reading Oscar Wilde on acid....

Hey where is Chris K in all this? He seems to have disappeared from the fray...

L.

No comments: